How to Prepare for a Career Event
Before the Event
- Research, Research, Research! Research information about specific companies attending the event.
- Focus your job search; identify what you want in a job and company.
- Update and target your resume.
- Dress for success! Professional attire is always required at Career Events!
- Dark colored, conservative suit
- Pants or skirt suit – skirt should be appropriate length
- Light colored dress shirt with undershirt or light colored blouse
- Avoid lace, ruffles, and shiny fabrics
- Simple patterned tie
- Polished dress shoes/matching dark socks or closed-toe shoes with a conservative heel
- Well-groomed hairstyle
- Subtle make-up & jewelry
- Leave the following items at home:
- Cell phones
- Excessive cologne or jewelry
- Bad manners / negativity
- Friends and family
- Inappropriate language
- Controversial views or offensive topics
- Anticipate and practice possible questions.
- Prepare a one-minute script about yourself, like this example:”Hello, my name is Jane. I am a senior majoring in Advertising/Public Relations. Last summer I completed an internship in the advertising division of Frito Lay. I am interested in broadening my experience and I read that your company is embarking on a new advertising campaign for the next quarter.”
At the Event
- Arrive early
- Bring a number of updated resumes
- Check in at Career Services table for an event map and a nametag
- Collect a business card from interesting employers
- Use your one-minute script about yourself to start conversations with employers
"Students who don't know what we do, that's a deal-breaker."
-UCF Employer of Choice