Build Your Resume and Cover Letter
“I cannot thank Career Services enough for helping me with my resume and ensuring that my LinkedIn is up to par. If you don’t know what your future looks like, going to Career Services can really help you. If you DO know what your future looks like, go to Career Services so that they can provide you with opportunities you never even thought of.”
-Ashley Marshall, 20′
- Your resume is a summary of your education and experiences. It should be focused on what is relevant to your industry.
- Chronological resumes have educational and employment history organized by date. This resume works well for students who have related experiences within their field.
- Functional resumes focus on skill sets gained through a variety of activities, such as educational course work, clubs and organizations, as well as internships and volunteer work. This resume format works best for students lacking relevant work experience or changing careers.
- Combination resumes are a combination of the chronological resume and functional resume. It focuses on skill sets, but also lists employment history. These types of resumes are most commonly used for someone who wants to change their career path entirely or have limited experience.
Cover Letters introduce you and your resume to prospective employers. The content of a cover letter can be broken down into three basic parts:
- Introduction: Why are you contacting this person? How did you learn about the job? Who are you? What do you know about their organization (research)?
- Body: How can you benefit them? Tell how you are an ideal match for the job. Expand on relevant education, skills, and experience to offer additional details not found on your resume.
- Conclusion: Focus on the next step: the interview! Thank the reader for their time and consideration. Request an interview to further discuss your qualifications.
Drop-in for a Critique
Peer advisors are available during drop-in hours to critique a hard copy of your resume, cover letter, and Handshake & LinkedIn profile.
Drop-In Hours: Mon. - Fri. (10 am - 3:30 pm)